Well, here it is...
This is the routine that I have when John David is on call. Of course, it took several tries of getting it wrong and figuring out what would work for both children and what wouldn't. One thing I have learned (and not just with bedtime) is that the older child can be flexible. For example, Jeremiah used to go to bed right at 8:00. Well, when I am by myself, he goes to bed at like 8:30. But because of his age, he can do that. It is more realistic for Jeremiah to adjust than Evie.
This is the routine that I have when John David is on call. Of course, it took several tries of getting it wrong and figuring out what would work for both children and what wouldn't. One thing I have learned (and not just with bedtime) is that the older child can be flexible. For example, Jeremiah used to go to bed right at 8:00. Well, when I am by myself, he goes to bed at like 8:30. But because of his age, he can do that. It is more realistic for Jeremiah to adjust than Evie.
First, I run the bath water for both kids. When Evie could sit non-supported, we started bathing them together. They love it.


Second, while Evie is crawling around, Jeremiah and I brush his teeth...

and pee-pee on the potty!

Next, both kiddos go in the tub. Now, all of the above is same when John David is home with us. He usually helps Jeremiah brush his teeth and pee pee on the potty while I am already bathing Evie in the tub.


Then, I get Evie and dry her off and get her dressed.

Here she is with her lovie! This is a must-have for naps and bedtime. Once, Evie is dressed for bed, we go get brother.

Now, stay with me here. Yes, I leave Jeremiah in the tub while I am dressing Evie. John David doesn't love this idea but in my defense, I have taken precautions. 1. The water is really shallow because Evie bathes with him. 2. I have him sing me songs the entire 3 minutes I am gone. 3. If he does get quiet, I talk with him and he responds. So, please don't judge me. It is hard getting 2 kids bathed by myself. Oh and don't report me!

And after both kids are dressed and smelling so sweet, I put on Backyardigans for Jeremiah to watch on the couch while I give Evie her bottle and lay her down. And I have to brag on Jeremiah a bit... He is so sweet during this time. He has never given me a problem and will sit quietly on the couch and wait for me to finish putting Evie down. Once I get that done, I sit on the couch with him and we snuggle while he finishes watching The Backyardigans.

Like I said, bedtime was definitely trial and error and has changed several times since Evie has been born. It was the thing I was most anxious about while I was pregnant with Evie. I knew John David's call schedule was going to leave me doing this by myself several times a week. It has worked out great. It was definitely very difficult until Evie was about 6 months but now we have a great routine.


Second, while Evie is crawling around, Jeremiah and I brush his teeth...

and pee-pee on the potty!

Next, both kiddos go in the tub. Now, all of the above is same when John David is home with us. He usually helps Jeremiah brush his teeth and pee pee on the potty while I am already bathing Evie in the tub.


Then, I get Evie and dry her off and get her dressed.

Here she is with her lovie! This is a must-have for naps and bedtime. Once, Evie is dressed for bed, we go get brother.

Now, stay with me here. Yes, I leave Jeremiah in the tub while I am dressing Evie. John David doesn't love this idea but in my defense, I have taken precautions. 1. The water is really shallow because Evie bathes with him. 2. I have him sing me songs the entire 3 minutes I am gone. 3. If he does get quiet, I talk with him and he responds. So, please don't judge me. It is hard getting 2 kids bathed by myself. Oh and don't report me!

And after both kids are dressed and smelling so sweet, I put on Backyardigans for Jeremiah to watch on the couch while I give Evie her bottle and lay her down. And I have to brag on Jeremiah a bit... He is so sweet during this time. He has never given me a problem and will sit quietly on the couch and wait for me to finish putting Evie down. Once I get that done, I sit on the couch with him and we snuggle while he finishes watching The Backyardigans.

And if you have never had to put your kids to bed by yourself on a regular basis, be thankful! It is definitely nice having an extra set of hands to help!
Good night!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
2 comments:
From a parent that has to put the kids to bed by herself quite a bit, I understand!!! And listen here...there is no judgement on the leaving J in the bathtub situation. I love it. Multi-tasking. Smart multi-tasking, might I add. Very well played that he sings songs the entire time you are with E. Good call on that. I love that we blog because I feel like we know each other's lives pretty well...at least WAY more than if we didn't blog. So sad that our kids can't play together. Hopefully one day they will get the opportunity to meet! They are too cute!
What a great idea to have him sing songs while you are out! Bedtime with no help can be so hard! I'm still trying to figure it out with three. But like you said, I am hoping it will get easier when Riley-Anne gets a few months older! Thanks for the tips :)
Post a Comment