Wednesday, February 24, 2010

He only wants the best for Jeremiah and Evie...

Those of you close to us know that both John David and I are both perfectionist (to say the least). So when I was pregnant with Jeremiah, I learned to an even greater extent how much John David absolutely wants the best... of anything. This came out when we were stroller shopping, car seat shopping, etc. He, in great detail, checked out every product to make sure that what we were getting was the best and nothing less. Now at times, this quality drives me crazy. But I appreciate it so much. Because of this quality, we learn everything we can about something and we usually get the best deal on the best product.
So here is how it has started with things for Evie. We went to Babies R Us this past weekend to pick up the last minute things for her. (because by the way I am 34 weeks now) And I find the clothes hamper that I want for her. It is white wicker with a pink and white gingham liner. John David looks at it and begins to say how it is all "beat-up" and doesn't look new. We didn't know it, but a Babies R Us worker was standing right behind us. She asked if we wanted her to check and see if they had anymore in the back. So we told her yes and she goes and gets 2 more. She pulls them out of the box (both are wrapped in protective paper) and hands the top one to us. John David begins inspecting it and I ask him if that one looks okay. He says "yeah" but not in a real convincing way so the worker offers for him to look at the 2nd one. He asks her if it is okay for him to look at the 2nd one and after his inspection, that is the one he decides on.
Second item: I needed a new mirror for my car so that I can see Evie while I"m driving. They are out of them on the shelf, so the same worker from above goes to get us one from the back. And when she hands it to John David she says," Oh and I checked this one out and it doesn't have any scratches or breaks in it." I guess she picked up on his perfectionist personality as well. It makes me laugh out loud.
But one can argue, "why pay money for something when it isn't in great condition!" Right?
I am in NO way bashing my husband. It just makes me laugh that whether it is a small thing or big thing, he is going to thoroughly think through each decision and only get the best.

2 comments:

Catie Murphy said...

Ha! I guess this explains the spreadsheets as well, huh? No doubt this quality about him has led him to all of the wonderful things that he has gained...but surely it can be humorous!

Jessica said...

I'm glad he's so thorough! We don't have to research any baby gear now - just leave it up to JD! He's like the modern day "Consumer Report"!